Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Why I Love Digital

One of my scrapbook inspirations is Becky Higgins (www.beckyhiggins.com). Her sketches and album/layout ideas have been so helpful in getting my creativity flowing to make some of the layouts that I've done so far. Anyway, she'd posted today a question about why people had gone digital. I'm including my comment below.

I've used Photoshop Elements for a few years to edit my photos, but it wasn't until the past year that I started dabbling in digital. I loved the idea of not having to clean up scraps and being able to just sit down and get started (or wrap up) in a minute or two, rather than 5 or 10 minutes. Having a baby last fall is what finally pushed me to give it a try and I LOVE it!!!

I either get the 12x12 layouts printed at scrapbookpictures.com or shrink the layouts to 8x8, depending on what I'm doing. I love that I can either print the layout and mix it in with existing traditional/hybrid layouts I've already done in a scrapbook album, or that I can order a book at one of the photo printing sites, like Shutterfly, and can make several copies for myself and family who live far away. The backup aspect is nice too.

I don't see myself making any more of my chronological pages traditionally, just theme albums and cards. I get a lot more done in the same amount of time, which is important when trying to keep up on my son's life. I'd been afraid before I tried it that you couldn't get the look of depth and texture, like some early "flat" layouts I'd seen done, but you can. It probably helps that I definitely am a "simple" scrapbooking--I love the cleaner look, with limited patterns and embellishments.

No comments: